Saturday, 23 July 2016

Decision Time!

Hello everyone! How are you enjoying July? It's been stiflingly hot here in the UK for the last few weeks and believe you me, that's RARE. I've actually (for the first time in my entire life) got a tan. My legs, arms, face and back of my neck are now brown! You can see when I take my Fitbit off, how white my skin usually is!




I've been walking the dogs every day and getting two and a half hours exercise every day. I get to walk along the beach, or here, which is part of the Hayling Island Billy Trail, as well as being part of a nature reserve. We get quite a few birds nesting here and there's wildlife wherever you look.



Quilting wise, I made a decision. After a long argument with myself, I finally realised that I just wasn't enjoying doing the Lucy Boston Patchwork of the Crosses BOM. The fabrics were lovely, I loved being part of the whole group, but sewing those shapes? Elongated hexies and small squares? I just didn't enjoy them. At all.

I like standard hexies. They're easier to baste, they're easier to sew together. So I decided to abandon the Lucy Boston. The blocks I have already gotten finished I am going to appliqué onto cushions and the fabrics that are still coming in the BOM can be used in other hexie patterns.

It was incredibly hard to make this decision. I didn't want to feel like I was giving up on this project, but like the Passacaglia quilt, I realised I really didn't like working with those other shapes (pentagons, triangles, etc) I'm a traditionalist and so I went back to my hexies, returned to my preferred ladder stitch and began a new project. I'm doing this. Its called the Dropped Diamonds Quilt and is designed by Tacha Bruecher, in her book, Hexa Go-Go. Will show progress pictures in my next post.


Oh and Bonnie Hunter has started the new Leaders & Enders challenge. It's the hourglass block made with quarter square triangles and can be done really nicely using jelly roll strips. Go to her website to check it out.


Anyway, hope you're all enjoying sewing. Have you had to make a decision regarding your quilting recently? Perhaps you've had to give up a project? Have you given away any UFOs? Perhaps you even realised that English paper piecing isn't for you and that you're a machine quilter? Whatever it is, leave a comment! I bet you're not the only one!

Happy sewing,

Louisa xxx



No comments:

Post a Comment