Saturday, 9 April 2016

Sewing Machine Struggles

So last week, I started more work on my Tumbler Leaders and Enders project. It started off well. I got about five more rows done and attached to the main piece, but then I noticed one of the seams had started to come undone.

No biggie, probably the bobbin ran out, right?

Er.....no.

The top stitch was fine, but the stitch underneath, on the back of the fabric, was all loopy and loose. I rethreaded my machine, top and bottom and started again.

Same problem.

I cleaned and defluffed the machine.

Same problem.

I oiled the machine and reset the tension.

Same problem.

I rethreaded again and switched the machine on and off.

Same problem.

So! Am mightily annoyed. Am going to leave it overnight and check on it again later and if it still doesn't work, then I'm going to have to get it checked.

It's very annoying. I want to sew, and I can't. Did think about hand sewing for a bit, but I've got another book to write on my contract and so that has to come first.

Grrr....


5 comments:

  1. Is your needle inserted the right way? And, is it threaded the correct way? I have 8 sewing machines, and sometimes I forget which direction the needle goes in, and if the thread goes to the right, or from the right to the left.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Celia. Yes, I've checked the needle and its threaded correctly, but I think I'll try a new needle and see if that helps. Cross your fingers for me!

      Delete
  2. A bent needle will cause this too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dede. I'll check that and try a new needle. The consensus in my sewing group is that this must be the problem, too! Will report back when I can! Thanks for your help xx

      Delete
  3. I changed the needle - that made no difference, so I completely changed out the bobbin casing, reloaded a new bobbin and it now works! Sews like a dream again!
    Phew!

    ReplyDelete