Sunday, 31 January 2016

Lucy Boston Patchwork of the Crosses BOM update!

I've really enjoyed working on my Lucy Boston Patchwork of the Crosses Block of the Month from Sew and Quilt.

So far, I've got three blocks done and I'm really pleased with what a learning process it has already been.





When the kit arrived, I was eager to get stuck in and sub cutting the pieces for my squares and elongated hexagons. Of course, later on that day, I received a group email, advising us how best to cut and on how a couple of them, we could fussy cut. Doh! I'd already cut mine. I hadn't even thought to look at the fussy cutting, because I was so excited to get going. Lesson number one - slow down!

Lesson number two was to use Wonder Clips to hold the pieces as I thread basted, so that the fabric didn't move, allowing me to have a good quarter inch seam all around. With the small squares, that was quite hard and I wasn't sure how best to fold the fabric at the corners, so that there wasn't bulk, but that there was nice crisp corners. I discovered, that if I pressed the flap of fabric down over the corner itself and then folded the sides down over the top of that, then I got perfect corners and perfect sides that all measured exactly the same. Lesson number 3!

It's been fun to work with fabrics I wouldn't normally pick for myself and to be honest, I wouldn't have chosen certain fabrics to go with others, but to my surprise, they have worked wonderfully together. Lesson number 4 is to give fabric a chance. Audition it with other pieces to just check whether they go or not, rather than assume. And you know what they say about assumption!

I'm sewing from the back, catching a few stitches from the fabric either side of the join, so that from the front, no stitches can be seen at all. It's quite easy to do and relaxing on the hands, so less of a strain if you have arthritis and as I get flare-ups of rheumatoid arthritis occasionally, then this method is great for me.

So, yes, it's going well. I'm enjoying having my little quilting box next to the sofa in the main living area and I'm sewing rather than wasting time on Facebook or something to interest me on the internet.

Today I bought the British Patchwork & Quilting magazine to see if I liked it. A preliminary check-through seems to show its full of wonderful stuff - giveaways, patterns, articles to read, places to check out and hints and tips. Will have a proper read-through later, but it seems good so far!

What magazine do you read for quilty ideas? Where do you get your patterns? Or maybe, you design your own! I'd love to hear what you do.

Happy quilting!

Louisa xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment